Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Time Machine: post-class response

My reflection for class is also a bit late. Although like Jen I still want more from the book, post class discussion I appreciate more how Wells conveyed his message concerning humanity. Although, like the professor said, our perception of science and where humanity is headed is greatly changed, for his time period I think Wells story was successful at least in the way it made people think about humanity and where it was headed. It made all of us think about it too, we just disagreed more with him.
One thing we didn’t talk about a lot is the remakes of the book into movies. Concerning the recent movie version I don’t remember most of it but I do remember that I liked one thing about it. In it the time traveler first goes into the not so distant future, there he goes to a museum where the tour guide is a hologram. Later in the movie when the time traveler is in the time of the Eloi and Morloks, he stumbles upon a place and the hologram again activates and talks to him. I don’t know why exactly but I really like that they did that because I like the idea that even though the people don’t remember creating it a technology they created still exists many years later and still functions, its kind of eerie if you think about it. But to go back to a point previously made I think that that part of the movie makes more sense with our time today. Because today humanity is inventing all sorts of technology that is mind blowing and if anything and the human race was to die out I can’t help but feel that some technology would continue functioning and performing its job even when no one is there to appreciate it.

No comments: