Thursday, February 28, 2008

Reflection, Class 7

I thought it was interesting that some of our class really didn't like the book or found it uncomfortable to read. I didn't make much of the female perspective, though I do see that it is unusual for science fiction. Maybe because I am also an avid Jane Austen reader as well as science fiction I didn't mind the discussion of feelings or the inner monologue of Malkah and Shira wasn't weird for me. But we all approach things differently so I enjoyed hearing how some of the guys found the book uncomfortable. I get uncomfortable when women get bashed so the reverse must be true for men. Maybe I'm just used to it more.
I wanted to touch on our discussion of why the book focused on a Jewish community beyond the link between the golem and Yod as a robot. I think the type of faith the Jews have is what makes the story so interesting to focus on a Jewish community. There are often rigidly defined gender roles and there are stark differences between the different forms of the religion, between conservative and reform Judaism. The practice of a minyon and how Yod's personhood fits into that is very interesting and provides a level of discussion that would not be found in a Christian faith group. Their faith also brings the community together in a way a Christian group might not-they have consistently faced prejudice throughout history in a way that has given them strong bonds to each other, something Christians only get by standing in opposition to other Christian groups and claiming one group or another as their own.

3 comments:

Tim said...

I can definitely see why you found it odd that some of the people were upset by the book. As for me, I was not disturbed by any of the anti-male content, I more than anything just got annoyed at all of the interior monologue. I just wanted it to keep moving.

Mr_Brefast said...

I don't mean to be contrary, but I must disagree with your statement that Christians only face opposition from other Christian groups. Originally, they were persecuted ruthlessly by the Roman Empire, yet they banded together and held onto their religion. Eventually, when Constantine issued the Edict of Milan (making Rome a Christian empire), this changed, but it is important to acknowledge the difficulties that the Christians encountered before this - I do admit they haven't been persecuted nearly as long as the Jews, however.

That said, I agree with what you said about exposure to Jane Austen making this easier to read - compared to the really long inner monologues in Pride and Prejudice, this book was a breeze to move through. I do feel like it had maybe three parts that dragged on a bit (some of the earliest Joseph sequences were slow for me), but otherwise I enjoyed its pace.

-Mike

Jennifer said...

I didn't mean to imply that I thought Christians only faced opposition from each other, I'm well aware of opposition against them from outside the religion. I was just trying to talk about the tensions within the umbrella faith.