Monday, February 25, 2008

Certain gestures

I simply must post again: when the book is at the point where Gadi is holding a festival in the Commons, this is what came to mind:

Yod as being fake on the inside (in terms of human biological components) yet being more human on the outside than Gadi. To complicate things, Gadi had all sorts of artificial enhancements about him in this scene, like the metallic eyelids and so forth.

When I finished thinking that through (albeit in a more extended fashion), my mind produced an excellent visual of Professor Jackson doing that thing he does when comparing two seemingly different things; where he holds up both arms, each containing one of the entities in the comparison, and then poses the thought I just wrote out as a question, while tilting his head in consideration of the quandary he just outlined for the class. I hope my description here is accurate, but my point is serious - what do people think about the fiddling that the author is doing throughout with what is "really" human as opposed to somewhat human as compared with only seemingly human (ad nauseum). Any thoughts on this?

-Mike

1 comment:

Lena said...

As I said in my post, a similar thought crossed my mind when Shira said that Nili seemed more artificial than Yod. But towards the end of the book Malkah said that it is better to enhanse humans rather than create a person and use them as you please (page 412). I think that is an important point when concidering the question of what is "really human."