Sunday, February 24, 2008

He, She and It

So I probably did not read this work as closely as I should have and at times I felt rather lost in it. Of course it did not help that every three or four pages it felt the story caused me to conjure up images of a number of different movies I have seen.
Primarily I was thinking about I, Robot and Bicentennial Man. The theme that impacted me the most was the robots ability to begin to learn and feel. As the characters in the book slowly began to realize that robots around them were indeed more than just one task machines but appeared to be becoming more and more human. In Bicentennial Man Andrew Martin, a robot, began to become aware of himself and actually made the decision to become more human by active change. He worked with scientists to create human-like organs so that he would be less robot and much more human. Probably the most touching thing was that man finally voted to declare him a human just as he is dying.
In I, Robot Sonny is created by a scientist who wishes to create a greater robot while at the same time fears what his new creation could do if it fell into the wrong hands. Sonny also develops feelings and emotions similar to the book.
I know none of this is really mind-expanding but at the moment this is all that I can actually coherently present.

No comments: