Saturday, May 3, 2008

Look to Windward

This is one of my favorite books on the semester.

I believe this has probably the best writing of all of the books we read. I really felt like I was right there with the characters. I really think that this has potential to become a really good movie, notice I said potential, not a guarantee.

I also saw the original book cover and I feel like this one truly represents the sort of unknowing that this book really pushes.

One of the most interesting things in this was the whole idea of downloading the memories of a ships computer and saving it to create a clone so that the memories will continue. The narrative about the General Service Vehicle Lasting Damage that fought an entire enemy fleet and then when it was destroyed managed to save itself so that when it finally repaired itself there was the original and a clone which had a respect for eachother and in the end merged their memories so that each could continue. There is no other way I can think to describe that as COOL!

I don't really know what to say about this, I legitimately enjoyed reading this and I didn't really see a whole lot to criticize. Maybe I was just so happy to be reading a good novel after the last one I glossed over the problems but that will remain to be seen until Tuesday when we discuss it.

Well, it has been one heck of ride. As we close out this era of our sci-fi geekdom I wish you all well. Live long and prosper. I'll see you all in the Facebook group. This is Mercury Theatre signing off.

1 comment:

Lena said...

One of the things that I have always noticed about sci-fi is its book covers, some have caught my attention (becasue of their depiction of something so different), and other made me groan because they only feed the misconceptions people have of sci-fi. I find it frustrating when covers are not an entirely accurate or relevant depiction. One time I found two book (by different authors and completely none related) with the exact same cover. The cover on the book I have disappoint me a little because it only depicts humans, and none of the interesting alien races. I like know the cover that you link to depicts the complexity, beauty and alien-ness of Bank's world.