Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reflection, Class 12

I agree with Tim and Mike that we did bash Columbus a bit, but I don't think that was a bad thing. For me, I feel like knowing more about him solidified my opinion that he was a little short on the marbles, so to speak.
At the same time, I think we can sort of parallel Columbus and Cortes to the folks in The Sparrow. Columbus didn't understand and still managed to start the destruction while Cortes did understand, which helped him destroy their civilization. Perhaps, had they understood more, the group in The Sparrow would still have made the same choices, in order to change the society they were in.
I found our discussion on understanding and sympathy to be pretty interesting. I'm still conflicted as to whether greater understanding does in fact lead to sympathy because I'm still hung up on the idea of people who study criminals and mass murderers having sympathy for those they study. I suppose it's possible but we don't want them to have sympathy really. Perhaps they understand how a person does something like that, not the why, because we did make that distinction. Understanding also takes time, so sympathy would be a developing thing.
Good point about the Freemasons, Mike. Not very well liked, were they? Until National Treasure brought them back into "cool" I suppose.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I had completely forgotten the discussion about criminal profilers feeling sympathy for the criminals they study. I agree it is terrifying that they would feel real sympathy I too believe a true understanding of the criminal mentality is crucial.