Monday, April 14, 2008

The Conquest of America

Bartlet for America!

Sorry, I just got back from watching Martin Sheen in Bender.

In reading this book I couldn't help but thinking about The Conquest of New Spain which I read last semester. Essentially the differences I saw was that the one by Bartoleme de las Casas was a more straightforward account of the events whereas this one was a commentary on the events.

Since we had the whole moment of shock last week about the Brad Pitt version of The Sparrow I thought it would be funny to think of a movie version of this. Then I remembered, there was a movie version, it starred Colin Farrell, it was called Brave New World (I think), it was horrible!

I always like to think about the movie we are watching for the week. Close Encounters of the Third Kind being quite in line with Columbus and company's encounter with the native populations of America. The lack of communication, the different customs, all of the concerns about making the proper sorts of contact. Not to mention that we're watching Contact next week.

As we commence the beginning of the end of our journey together I would have to say that this has opened my eyes to a whole different way of looking at the world around me.

Take care, see you later.

No comments: