Monday, April 21, 2008

Children of God

I'm in agreement with Jen that I have no orderly reaction to this book. Throughout the reading I continually bounced back and forth between feeling for the characters and thinking that they got what they deserved.

Ditto with the belief that The Sparrow could have stood alone. I did appreciate how this work did show the results but I actually thought that it detracted from the original storyline. Mostly because we all had such strong reactions to Sandoz's story I feel like we almost know too much now.

I believe this would be a great book if it was written independently. I loved the interactions between the various races especially their interbreeding and seeing the later generations grow up. However, by making it all a spin-off of the original book I brought all of my biases created by the first to this one. If it was different characters I think it would be great, it just doesn't work for me as a sequel.

I know this isn't much but I just don't have enough thoughts on this to say much else.

I'm really looking forward to what everybody else thought about it tomorrow.

No comments: