Monday, March 31, 2008

The Concept of the Political

I agree that this was not the most thrilling work to read, but then again it is an essay and not a novel so you cannot fault Schmitt for that.

I did think it was really interesting how his beliefs and allegiances were justified and how they interwove with his arguments for political states.

The main thing I saw in this was how close recent history, since he published this, his theories are. He at one point discussed how the world could never actually adopt a completely peaceful stance without enemies. We got close after World War Two with the United Nations but it was quickly apparent that there was a strong mistrust between East and West.

Looking ahead to Thursday I thought it was interesting that since Schmitt said a world could never exist without enemies so long as it was alone, the Federation does exist on Earth peacefully seemingly without any conflict, except of course for the Bugs from space.

I'm afraid that if I were to do too much analysis on the book I would find myself twisting Schmitt's intentions into alignment with history and Starship Troopers, which I kept thinking about as I was reading the book.

See you all on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I think it's more Schmitt's failing that his essay isn't more interesting. I found pages ~25-59 dreadfully repetitive, personally. Check out my post over on Backyard Rocket for a link to a great essay on what the essay should be all about, and why Schmitt's failings in that form make it "not the most thrilling work to read."