Friday, February 15, 2008

Reflection, Class 5

So, what to say about Dune? Well, I wouldn't want to live there, that much is certain.
But to be serious, I thought our discussion of who Paul really wanted to be, duke or Muad'Dib very interesting. I find myself agreeing with those who argue that Muad'Dib was something he stepped into for expediency and the Duke was something he was, or at least was born to be and thus is. Leto was a huge figure in Paul's life, as evidenced by their relationship and the shrine Paul erected for his father's skull. I think being the Duke helps Paul to honor his father. Of course, being the Duke also helps him connect to the Emperor and thus make himself non-writeoff-able. They have to deal with him on reasonable terms because he is the Duke, not just some tribal Prophet. In the old civilization-savage conflict, they have to deal with him on a civilized level.
I also liked our discussion on who the implied author and reader were. I still think it's someone outside of the "Arrakis Affair" that the implied reader is, which I think we all agreed on, but there is something to the idea that Dune is a compiled history of the issue, as Tim I think said, it is as if Irulan wrote all this stuff and someone just put it all together with her quotes to tie it together, adding the appendixes for some context. Or it's all silly to be even wondering and Herbert was just trying to be like Tolkien but didn't quite get there because he didn't invent, what was it, three new languages. Nice try, but no cigar, as my fifth grade teacher used to say.
I suppose we'll have to wait to see what we talk about on Tuesday to finish up Dune. Have a great weekend everyone.

No comments: