Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dune: Pre-class Reaction

Among many things I want to discuss is the cultural aspect of this book, as usual. Obviously here we see a clash of ways of life as well as idea. And what stood out to me is how all the various powers just brushed of the “concept of Fremen”: to them it was just a few scattered, desert beaten people, with nothing to learn from. That is a trap many cultures in our world have fallen. The book shows how such narrow-minded-ness can lead to a lot of violence and misunderstandings. Obviously here the fact that the Fremen were overlooked for years was beneficial for them and allowed them to grow and do what they wanted almost unhindered. But not thinking about the plot, I can’t help but image how things would have been if the Duke (Leto) was quicker to learn from and befriend the Fremen.
Another concept that stood out to me is how the Fremen lived a life of great refrain and respect for their resources and environment. It’s a harsh existence, but they were smart enough to adapt to it and use it to their best advantage. Which makes me think of our current environment situation and how people take so much for granted and just waste and consume. On page 275 there is a part where they say that there comes a point where you can’t keep stealing from the plan without thinking what else is to follow. And that quality in the Fremen of thinking ahead and being smart about their environment and doing something for a far tomorrow is admirable. Concerning resources the book makes a point I have learned in my human geography class. And that is the concept of surplus and the relationship between control of the resources /means of production and power. We see this concept on Dune. Whoever controlled the surplus of Spice or even water had the power. In this case surplus means anything that people don’t need for their own survival and that can be sold as a commodity. And without surplus a society can’t develop, it needs the surplus to make money or other gains from trade, and later it can use that money to develop its society (Paul keeps talking about how once they gain control they will have money and then they will finally be able to do what is needed for the planet). This struggle for control over resources or land can be seen in a large number of cases, past and present on our world.
Finally, I want to comment on the OC Bible quote on page 40 (the one that Paul reads out loud to the doctor and turns out to be Wanna’s favorite). It is one of my favorite from the book and it is a concept I myself have thought about a few times. It is just mind blowing to me whenever I try to grasp the concept of all the “things” I may not be “seeing” (well experiencing in general) just because I don’t know how or don’t have the capacity to.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That aggravated me as well, Lena, the part about not connecting with the Fremen. I think though that Leto, however open-minded he might have been, was still stuck in his mindset that was developed on Caladan. Paul hadn't been as ingrained in central empire society as Leto was and Paul was also faced with the befriend or die thing. Beyond the survival aspect, I think Paul was able to connect with the Fremen because he was younger and his environment wasn't totally the cushy life of Caladan. Things would have been better for Leto but then Paul couldn't have had as much of a chance to shine, so c'est la vie.